Professor Douglas Drossman on Effective Communication Skills to Optimize the Provider Patient Relationship
Dr. Jim Kantidakis interviewed Dr. Drossman December 4, 2019, for his Talking Gut podcast.
Click here to listen
In this episode they talked about:
- What is patient centered care?
- Should the patient be the judge of patient centered care and why?
- What are the key definitions relating to communication?
- How and why effective communication is important to the patient and the doctor?
- How effective communication builds a therapeutic relationship and how it improves patient satisfaction levels and therapeutic outcome, and also reduces physical burnout in doctors.
- How to communicate and still manage time effectively.
- We discussed Prof Drossman’s educational videos for health practitioners on effective communication.
- We also discussed in great details Prof Drossman’s 10-point guide to ‘Learning & Applying Effective Communication Skills to Optimise the Provider Patient Relationship’, and how verbal and no verbal behaviour affects communication.